Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Land of Expectations

I have officially experienced Mongolia.
Gallopped across the steppes, wind blowing through my hair.
I will miss the lovely people I met there, but I will remember it forever.

Ulaanbaatar is a clash of worlds, a discombobulated kaleidoscope of country gers overshadowed by crumbling concrete buildings. Driving can often feel like being on the Indiana Jones ride!
It is a world away from the Mongolian countryside: stark green as far as the eye can see, peppered by braying cows, sheep, and horses. I helped our new friend, the young shepherd Tsitsah, herd his sheep down the hills. As we traveled, slowly making our way home to the round tent-like ger, he would throw his red Frisbee high into the air, and we'd run forward to catch it.

Now, I am in Vietnam, and it is like nowhere I've ever been before.
The city of Hanoi is a whirl of colors and smells, with wires strung every which way and vendors carting baskets full of exotic fruits and tasty delights. One of these looks and tastes something like a donut hole, but is squishy and largely hollow, as it is made from rice flour. Motorbikes dominate the streets, but flow magically around you the moment you walk into the street.
Further away from the city, tall skinny buildings teeter next to short grass huts. Bikes cart everything from children to pigs to long sticks of bamboo. Everybody really DOES have a water buffalo. Children stopped in the street to stare at us weird foreigners, then ran forward, excited to play with us. We threw "student flowers" at each other: small, sticky plants that are perfect toys. One small child led me around by the hand, only deciding to let go when I lifted her onto my back.

I'm in a dream. A mesmerizing journey. I am looking forward to sharing stories and continuing the journey when I return home.

Until next time, your friendly neighborhood aethernaut,
~M~

1 comment:

  1. OMG everyone has a water buffalo? Awesome. That sounds amazing and fascinating, and you describe things quite enticingly in an alien way (if that made sense), as always! <3 Till next time then.

    ReplyDelete